Lumaktaw sa pangunahing content

Choosing the RIGHT Architecture Review Center


I just recently passed the Architecture Licensure Examination held last 25th and 27th of January 2013. Being one of the placers in the exam was one of the best and most humbling highlight in that experience.

So, as expected, many of my friends who are about the take the review are asking me which Architecture Review Center is the best. Of course, there is no one valid answer to this question - the answer will always be subjective. If you would ask me what I would recommend, I would of course recommend the review centers I enrolled to since their review approaches were effective for me.

If you want to know what REVIEW CENTER IS THE BEST, well you won't find the answer here. LOL. I'm just basically blogging about my architecture review experience.

The most basic question here is how did I choose the review centers I attended to in the first place?

Ans. BY RECOMMENDATION

Before enrolling to any review center, I had to research a lot. [Yes, I can be O.C. like that.]

Secondary data from the internet was helpful.
The internet, with the websites of the various review centers provided basic information from the location, the tuition fee (upon request), proximity to PRC and the Test Venues, the teachers and professors and any other relevant information you will need.

But what was most helpful was the primary data I gathered from actual interviews with architect friends & mentors. But I also had to keep in mind that one can only recommend the review centers they were enrolled to. But even if their answers are biased, I considered their recommendations immensely because (1) I know them personally and they would always recommend the best for me and (2) I trust their opinion over anything posted online.

Finally, this is the scheme that I decided on for myself (which my review-mates from Davao agreed with):

Basic/Fundamental Review: JPT Review Center, Galicia st., Sampaloc
-As recommended by most of my architect friends/mentors from Davao City

Special Building Technology Class: APR Review Center, R,Papa st., Sampaloc
-As recommended by architect friends from Davao City

Design Course: UAP Center for Career Development, Scout Rallos, QC
-Personal assessment of the review center via their website, and also recommendation from an architect friend, as well.

Special Coaching: UAP Center for Career Development, Scout Rallos, QC
-As per recommendation of the UAP CCD professors

Refresher: JPT Review Center, Galicia st., Sampaloc
-As recommended by most of my architect friends/mentors from Davao City

Many people think that I took ENTIRE double courses in various review centers. But I didn't.
It was just one course, no doubles.

The only double subject I took was that of the special class which I took at APR Review Center. It was recommended to me by previous board takers, and for me I felt that it was also vital for me to take this class since I knew my weakness was in Building Technology and Building Materials. True enough, this class proved useful during the board exam. Thank you, Arch. Arnel P. Ramos for the opportunity.

UAP CCD was closer to home, in a sense that the review center is located at UAP Head Quarters. The lectures and the design class given were also helpful. I would also like to commend Arch. Rey S. Gabitan for being very well versed in the Professional Practice subject and situational questions, which was very important not only for the board exam but when one starts to practice. More importantly, the special coaching given was really helpful in taking away the anxiety I had. The special coaching boosted my confidence in not just taking the exam but to also conquer it.  My UAP CCD experience became the foundation of my mental, emotional, and physical preparation for the exam day. The special coaching allowed me to embrace the reality that is the board exam.

JPT Review Center became my second home, and Amber (the company pet/mascot) became my extended family pet. The Center was also close to my heart because the staff was Cebuano, and it was nice to hear bisaya conversations once in a while. But apart from these little homey perks, I would commend JPT for how they handle the classes with a great degree of professionalism, care of Sir Jim. Arch. Gerard Dy & Arch. Annie Pugeda were extremely brilliant in making us, or me feel that these are things that I already know and that we are just reviewing these things. All the instructors of the review center were equally brilliant most especially in streamlining the things we have to study and to know the things that we have to focus on. I really felt JPT's support from the beginning of the review till the very end. (I am biased here because I took Basic Review [beginning] and Refresher [end]. LOL. But biased or not, the review center’s approach was effective for me)

Well, in any case my opinion will always be biased and limited to the review centers that I have enrolled in. Therefore, I'm not a Review Center Critique Expert of sorts. I'm pretty sure there are other review centers out there that are at par with the review centers I have enrolled with. Like everything else, each review center has its own strengths and weaknesses. But review centers will only be there to guide you on what to study and more of the work will really be your responsibility. And I am pretty sure that all review centers are committed to helping each and every reviewee pass and ace the board exam.

Basically, in choosing what you think the right review center is for yourself is the key to everything. Do not let anyone decide for you. That is what I did with my review-mates from Davao, in every decision the group made I had to ensure that it was a voting system. I did not force any decision on anyone.

At this point in your life, to trust in your self is way better than anything else. You do not want to go around blaming other people for the decisions they made for you because in reviewing and in practically anything, you decide for yourself. Letting others decide for you is still a decision you made for yourself. So whichever way the ball rolls, it will always be your decision.

Praying for wisdom in discerning will also be helpful.


Mga Komento

  1. Hi! Question, have you, even once, thought you wouldn't be able to pass the board? I mean, of course you have to believe in yourself that you could make it, but have you tried having doubts kahit konti that you might not make it? I'm sorry if you find this question kind of stupid =) I am currently enrolled in a review center and although I'm trying my best to think and believe that if others were able to pass, kaya ko din. But i can't help getting scared I might fail. My classmates look matatalino. Huhu. lol Any advice? Thanks! And btw you're very pretty :)

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Hi, Anne Potato! :) As I try to recall, I broke down many times [cried and got really scared] -- so that is pretty normal. The only thing I did to build my confidence was to get pep talks [from my friends who passed the board exam already, I'd call them and tell them I was feeling really down and I think I'm not gonna make] and I prayed [a lot]. So my advice for you is that acknowledge this weakness and hope for the best. In the end my realization was that as long as I do my part [study what I need and what I can] God will also do His'. And whatever it is that God has planned for me, I pray for acceptance of his Will. :) Just do your part, study and pray. God Speed, Anne!

      Burahin
  2. ahhhmmm sa dami po ng review center po na un magkano po nagastos??

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Hi Jean!
      Here is an outline of the payments during my time.

      REGISTRATION/RESERVATION: P500
      JPT BASIC REVIEW MATERIALS: P3500
      JPT BASIC REVIEW ENROLLMENT: P8500
      UAP-CCD EXPANDED DESIGN COURSE ENROLLMENT: P4000
      JPT REFRESHER COURSE ENROLLMENT: P4000
      JPT REFRESHER COURSE MATERIAL: P250
      APR BUILDING TECH CLASS ENROLLMENT: P3700

      Just contact the review centers themselves to get updated prices since the figures I gave you are two years old already. :)

      Burahin
  3. hi, meron po bang ONLINE REVIEW CENTER for ALE????..tnx

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. None that I know of though. But you are free to do self review since there are a lot of downloadable materials online. :)

      Burahin
  4. Hi architect! Where did you stay during your review days?

    TumugonBurahin
    Mga Tugon
    1. Hi Sheena! We stayed in Knysna Residences. About three blocks away from JPT. :)

      Burahin
  5. Hi! gano po katagal ang review? mga ilang months?hehe

    TumugonBurahin
  6. Hi! gano po katagal ang review? mga ilang months?hehe

    TumugonBurahin

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

The Kulay-full Davao Tagalog

According to my good old friend Wiki, there are roughly 125 to  175 dialects in the Philippines depending on the category or classification. Quite a lot for such a smalll country, right? Perhaps this can be attributed to our country’s archipelagic nature. Whatever is the root of this great degree in variation, this blog entry is a personal in depth analysis of the Davao Tagalaog that I grew up with, in comparison with all the other dialects in the country. From the first few words I uttered to the most complicated sentences that I was able to muster, the Davao Tagalog has always been a part of me. But before anything else, what exactly is the Davao Tagalog? I’m no linguist expert of sorts, but I will try to define the Davao Tagalog based on my personal experience of the dialect. DEFINING DAVAO TAGALOG The Davao Tagalog is an amalgamation of Tagalog (Luzon: Northern Island and capital of the Philippines) and Bisaya (Visayas: Central Islan

Architecture Licensure Examination Philippines: References & What-nots

Hello ladies & gents! Today I will once again be talking about architecture.  But this blog's particular topic revolves around an architectural milestone that architecture students keep at the back of their heads pretending its still doesn't concern them because at the moment they are dealing with things of greater weight - plates and thesis.  An architectural milestone that gives the chills and jitters to the architecture graduates because this a point in time filled with career defining decision making moments.  Also, this milestone to when now registered and licensed architects look back to breathes out a sigh of relief knowing that it is finally over. Yes, the ALE or the Architecture Licensure Examination. The ALE is like a barrier, a wall that you must climb over and you must land on the other side with both feet. Thank goodness, I am now other side of the wall unscathed, or so I'd like to believe. It is my obligation as an architect to men